IF is not necessary, just a non rotating front is all that's needed.

At 09:47 AM 3/4/2003 +0100, you wrote:
on 04.03.03 7:20, Artur Ledóchowski at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> That silver ring, however, together with the tulip lens hood, make this lens
> look quite pro-like, don't you think?:))
> BTW, I've always thought that such hoods can be used only on IF lenses. The
> 18-35, however, isn't claimed to be IF...

Artur, it must be IF, otherwise, such a hood would be pure nonsense - when
rotated, it wouldn't provide enough protection.

--
Pozdrowienia
Sylwek

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx