Hi Frantisek
I, for one, was posting something about a waterbath intermezzo. I made some
tests.
I concluded, that it had an effect, but very small, measureable but hardly
visible.
Comming to think of it, I understand now, that the waterbath also means a
slight increase of the total developing time, resulting in the opposit
effect - more contrast. When using the waterbath - let's say for two
minutes - I increase the effective developing time with e.i. half a minute.
I should probably reduce the effective developing time (in working solution
developer) accordingly. I didn't.

Remember, taht the main issue, about reducing contrast, lies in exposure as
well as developing.
Please note:
Underexposure/overdevelop = more contrast.
Overexpose/underdevelop   = less contrast (less sharpness).

What you do when you push, is realy underexposing/overdeveloping, which
increases contrast.
An idea for you to try out, could be to "overexpose" a little. That is,
instead of setting the meter to e.i. 800 ASA, you could try to set the meter
at 500ASA or 640ASA (1/3-1/2 stop) and then still develop "normaly" as if
you shot at 800ASA. This should lead to decreased contrast.
I have not tried this, but it might work.

Best Regards
Jens