The word grew out of the "my "pro" bodies have more auntomation than your
bodies" war (gone mad) between Canon and Nikon.
It is also a term that decribes those who use the Nikon and Canon heavy duty
"pro" cameras. Not the PJ's of course, but the tens of thousands of people
who blindly purchse those same Canon and Nikon "pro" cameras with no earthly
use for them.
"Robo-camera" in that the big four pound bodies need an additional three to
four pounds of gear slapped and bolted on them in order to wring the best
performances from all that automation.
As in when the body has 45 sensors or 10 fps speeds.

In no way has PENTAX ever coming close to producing a kind of "camera on
steroids" which can be said of the Canon and Nikon programs.
The closest PENTAX has ever come to building a "Robo-camera" is the vast
PENTAX LX (System) camrea and to a lesser degree, the SUPER PROGRAM system.
But then, if we stoop to defining "robo-cameras" solely by the automation on
board, in its time, the MX too might be called a "Robo-camera" when one
considers all the PENTAX accoutrements it can use.

But the name "Robocamrea" rightfully ~BELONGS~ lock,stock and barrel to the
six to eight pound, heavily armored tank-like "pro" bodies of Canon and Nikon.

Whether we like it or not, the name "robo-camera", ("muscle-bound"; "cameras
on steriods") is now part of the lexicon of 35mm SLR shooters.
When nationally syndicated and staff writers use the words and phrases above
to describe such cameras, it is too late to try to modify or suppress its use
on one mailing list.

Mafud

In a message dated 3/2/2001 1:49:11 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< John Francis wrote re. "robocameras":

 > Do you think we could make an effort to drop this silly description?
 >
 > It's trite, it's derisory, and it's neither clever nor amusing.

 I second the motion. Since the term applies to cameras with significant
 automation capability, it applies just as much to Pentax product as anything
 else.  The term does not differentiate between Pentax and other mfr's
 products, even though it's often used on the list as if it does.

 Tom C.