In the Camedia E-10 press conference on 22 August 2000, the President of
Olympus, Mr Masatoshi Kishimoto gave the following remarks.

"We will stop the research on high resolution CCD."

"We have been continuously developing high quality digital camera with high
resolution CCD. But E-10's 4M pixels CCD is able to give very satisfactory
results even in enlarged prints. I think this is the end of the high
resolution CCD competition."

"5M or 6M pixels are too much for consumer use. Operation, design and other
added values are more important from now on."

This quotation and other Olympus views on CCD development can be found at

http://www.geocities.com/maitani_fan/camera_technologies.html ; scroll down
to "Olympus CCD Philosophy".