>> The vast majority of computer and photographic gear that I buy makes
>> the trip across the pond to me.
>>
>> Always on the lookout for couriers. Must be able to swallow 3 or 4 lenses
>> stashed into condoms.....
>
>I can almost sympathise with smugglers having just been gouged twice
>this week by HM Customs & Excise. It really seems unfair to be charged
>duty + vat on a secondhand lens for my own personal use. And what the
>hell is that 'agent fee' that ParcelFarce nick off you?? Gits!

Chris,

Tell me about it!

I always try and get the seller to send via USPS air mail. It should then
end up on the doorstep less than a week later, no Parcel Force nonesense
(US readers: Parcel Force is a bit like FedEx opr UPS, even though we do
have UPS over here...) and as long as the customs label is marked 'USED
photographic equipment', in theory there should be little to pay. Private
eBay sellers should not have an issue with ticking the 'gift' box - after
all, if they are a private seller, then they are not handling
'merchandise' (the only other alternative), but I have had some refuse. I
point out that if they tick the 'merchandise' box, then are they also
declaring their income from the sale of their goods to the appropriate
tax-collecting authority? It concentrates the mind.

I don't mind paying tax on an item, but not when it has already been paid
when bought new....

.02

Cotty

Oh, swipe me! He paints with light!