I think both are approximates. The measured F stop is almost always different than the
marked value.

At 11:39 AM 3/5/2003 -0600, you wrote:

But on an actual lens the difference is 1.0 stops, right?  I'm working on
the assumption that the numbers printed on the lens are approximations,
but that the lens itself goes by the actual values.

chris