There are bigger ones. Photoflex and someone else make them in 12x18
sizes (or thereabouts).

> > If the flash is aligned with the lens, you shouldn't see too many
> > shadows. If you see shadows, that's due to the angle of
> the flash wrt
> > the subject. A diffuser will soften the edge of the
> shadow. The bigger
> > the light source, the more indistinct the shadow.
>
> One of the things I noticed in some of my flash pictures of
> my brother's
> family were some pretty distinct shadows behind them. I'm
> unsure, now, if
> it was direct or bounced off the ceiling.

If the flash is in the hotshoe, and you turn the camera vertically,
you'll get shadows.
Ceiling bounce doesn't give much in the way of shadows behind the
subject.

> > > The "pocket softbox"
> > This will soften things up a little bit.
>
> > The "pocket bouncer"
> > This thing is ok, but sucks on a bracket.
>
> I currently have no bracket...however, I presume that if I
> did the pocket
> softbox is a wiser choice to make?

I personally prefer the Sto-fen Omni-Bounce, but yes, I like the
softbox better then the bouncer.

tv