Just got back my first roll of Portra 400NC. I shot it on 220.

For some reason I'd been avoiding the NC Portra, thinking maybe it would
be flat. It looks gorgeous, I'm really impressed. Colors aren't muted,
just not pumped up like on VC. Caucasian skin tones are beautiful,
contrast is well controlled, and though it's only a 4x5, it looks sharp.
Can't see any grain with my eye, though I can see a bit in the sky when
I put the print on a light box and use a 4x loupe. More like a lack of
smoothness than actual grain. I plan to try some more.

It was printed on Kodak Royal.

On a related topic, I think I've found my lab in Northern VA. It's
Advanced Photo on 246 W. Broad St. in Falls Church. It kind of looked
like a regular old mini-lab, but the guy who owns it also does wedding
photography and they've done a good job for me so far with prints. I
need to take a close look at my negs to make sure they look clean, but
so far I'm happy.

tv