Herb Chong said:

> in brilliant sunlight with high speed film. that has its own compromises.
>
> Herb.....

Near sunset.

"Well, all I can say is I just got the lens and immediately I got
incredible photos of birds flying, mode 2 of course. I don't think I
ever got a sharp one panning inflight shots with my old 300 without
IS. But my first roll with 100-400 IS I got many good ones." J. D.

When I've asked, people have generally reported 2-3 stops improvement when
handheld, but also some longer times than that, like 1/4 second at 50mm
and 1/8 second at 70mm.  I asked because I wondered if IS was more of a
gimmick.  But damn, it seems to be real, and people are getting sharp
shots with it that they couldn't have gotten otherwise.