Hi Roland,

Do you remember the time about three weeks?  Pentax had said "full
compatibility" for the *ist, and everyone was talking about how his
personal Pentax sources were confirming that.  Pentax-Europe's marketing
director had confirmed it, and I was still not believing it because it
was not fitting together with several technical observations of mine.

It turned out that they were all wrong.  I see how passionate you are
about this, and I respect your choice.  However, I do not share your
optimism, and I have some technical reasons in my head.

> But the *ist D will have full compatibility with the older lenses.

This we have only seen on paper, just like we saw similar texts about
the *ist.  The only HARD evidence (the early prototypes at PMA and
CeBit) show the contrary.  Now, I am quite certain that the prototype at
PMA is a different one from the one at CeBit, and both featured the
crippled mount.  Are you feeling small waves of coldness on your back?
I am...

For the *ist D I have good-heartedly indicated Kaf2 on the KMP, but I
could actually imagine how Pentax is thinking: "those people have been
raving for a DSLR for years.  How about we save $5 on the aperture
coupling and $5 on aperture rings, and they all go out and replace those
fabulous 15/3.5, 18/3.5, 20/4, etc. lenses with FAJ equivalents"...  I
hold that for unlikely but very possible.

> If the lens mount in the *ist D, with full compatibility for K and
> M lenses, scremount lenses (with adapter), 645 (with adapter) and
> 67 (with adapter) are "crippled mount", then why would this be a
> bad thing?

The crippled mount cannot meter properly with K and M lenses.  Either
part 1 of your statement is true or part 2 but not both.  My explanation
is that someone re-edited the MZ-D press release, updating the text hier
and there.  Compare the "Lens compatibility" sections fo both press
releases...

> Not true. It's possible to make a full electronic lens mount with
> aperture ring on the lenses. One simply has to have a mechanical
> to electrical decoder for the aperture ring in the lenses, so that
> the lens can send aperture ring information to the body.

Now read your statement a few times loud and ask yourself how likely
that is...

> This might be what Pentax are working on. It's probably less
> expensive to have electrical decoders around the aperture ring
> instead of a complete mechanical system.

I am no expert but consider myself relatively compentent about the
workings of the Pentax mounts.  What you are saying sounds unreasonable
to me, and I hold it for unlikely.

Having said all this, I realize that neither of us has hard facts, so
until we hear new definitive information, this will be my last e-mail on
the subject.

Piece,
Boz