The FA 28-105 f/4-4.5 (power zoom) was rated as the best 28-105 in it's class when Practical Photography tested it, I believe this test was in -98. Better than Nikon 35-105, Canon, Minolta and Sigma. It took time for Pentax to replace the 28-105 f/4-5.6, but since it was better than the competition it didn't really needed to be updated for some time. the competition had to update their lenses so they could be in the same class.

One of the Australian magazines didn't rate it highly. But that was many years ago. It was said the optical performance at the long end was low. Btw, it's f4-5.6 which is slow, when everyone else has been offering f3.3-4.5 for years. So the recent addition of FA28-105/3.2-4.5 is good.

Then please switch to Nikon since you obviously prefer them.

I have been trying to point out what I know and compared them fairly. That doesn't mean I am against either brand or should switch because of that. I don't hate or dislike particular brand (except Sigma perhaps), and I don't defend Pentax just because I use Pentax. If I saw their flaws, I say it here on PDML.

So we are speaking about the past now?

If we must compare, we must consider the whole history.

I don't agree with this, since AF ability is body dependant. The low-end Canon's has among the slowest AF in it's class (Pentax has faster AF, according to tests in the swedish magazine FOTO). The pro-Canon's has good AF, but not the low-end ones. Even if the AF motor is in the lens, the body has the AF control software. So your statement is not correct, the ability of Canon AF depends on the body. Just as Pentax.

AF ability depends on both the lens & the body.

And you forget that the FA* lenses are still among the best lenses in the world. Why update class leaders?

I doubt that very much. I have never seen any scientific data to support it either. FA* prime lenses are great, but claiming they are the best must require solid proof.

That's not true. The MZ-5n has many metal reinforcements underneath the plastics, so "the whole thing" isn't plastic at all.

Just remove the top & front cover and see for yourself. The metal mount was mounted onto a plastic structure. Don't be fooled by the metal mount.

regards,
Alan Chan