----- Original Message -----
From: "Mishka"
Subject: prints contrast question

Crystal archive, like all photo papers, is pretty limited in range, I think
around 32:1, perhaps a bit less. This translates into a 5 stop or slightly
less range.
Modern colour print films will capture as much as 8 stops of exposure.
If you are shooting in harsh conditions, (not knowing what conditions you
were shooting in, I can only guess), then the paper is just not able to
capture the full range of the film without custom printing.
Pro papers have a longer range, getting up to 64:1, but still won't print as
much as the film sees.

You can get the stuff printed, but you have to go custom, and get the
highlights burned down. This has always been the way it is with colour
printing. If the paper has too long a range, then the bulk of the work
printed on it will look muddy, so they have to compromise and let the
extremes go.
I they don't, then most peoples photos will look ugly, which won't sell.
Most of the time, it works pretty good, but if you are photographing the
Grand Canyon at high noon, you are going to have problems.

William Robb