In a message dated 3/5/2001 1:21:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<<  For instance http://pug.komkon.org/00febr/WoodenBoats.htm was shot with a
prime. It has a crispness and clarity (not blowing my own horn) even at this
low resolution that I don't see in some of my zoom photos. >>

Hello Tom!

Could it be you ~know~ your own work, perhaps too well? And would you be so
sure of it if the photo had been shot by someone else? Suppose you were asked
the zoom Vs. prime question about that particular photo?

I would hope my question[s] might lead to a lessening of the "prime Vs. zoom"
mentality. Considering there are a pile of zoom photos in the March PUG, and
since so many PUGSTERS acquit themselves so well with zooms, perhaps
"cropping by zoom" ought to be as an acceptable and valid photographer's
technique, at least as much as "cropping by feet," the time honored
(old-fashioned, before quality zooms) method.

Mafud
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]