whickersworld schrieb: > The 24mm f/2.8 Nikkors are effectively distortion-free.

" effectively distortion free" is a nice expression effectively meaning either "distortion is still greater than 0" or "the distortion did not spoil any of my pictures". In these senses, the A20/f2.8 as well as the K24/f2.8 could be called distortion-free, too. However, the M20/f4 is not " effectively distortion free" as for me it did indeed produce some ugly distortion with the horizon near the upper image border.

However, if one systematically MEASURES distortion (i.e. the bending of straight lines), there is no super-wide angle lens that I know of that really is distortion-free.
For example, in 2001 German Color Foto tested 15 lenses of all major brands (including FA24/f2, FA20/f2.8, ands also the Nikkor 24/f2.8) with focal length between 19 and 24mm. No lens collected more than 5 points out of 10 for its distortion performance (with Leica and Zeiss performing best).
Here is some test results on Pentax lenses from Chasseur d'images: FA20/f2.8: 0.5% barrel distortion; FA24/f2: 0.4% barrel distortion; A24/f2.8: 0.5% barrel distortion.

Arnold