some reviews of the scanner - haven't used it myself

http://www.epinions.com/HP_PhotoSmart_S20_Photo_Scanner_C5101A_ABB__Scanners_C5101A_ABB/display_~reviews

Christian Skofteland wrote:

Chris;

I have the SCSI version of the scanner in question.  It works great, but
care is needed to avoid dust, etc.

I scan B&W after developing the negs myself and use the color film setting
on the scanner for greater resolution and then suck the color out before
final scan.  Other than that, I never do any adjustments for B&W and the
8x10s I print on my Epson 880 (as color prints for better detail and tone)
are good enough for me to frame and hang on the wall.

Lately I've become much better at scanning slides (I scan them un-mounted
because I feel the scans are sharper that way as they are a bit flatter in
the scanner) by tweaking the contrast and color before final scan.  The
histogram has helped a lot in this regard.

I'm not sure what you mean by "questionable build quality.  My HP seems
pretty well built and I am more than happy with it.

Christian Skofteland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Comer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hey everyone,
   This is a little off topic but I can't read another post
about dslrs.  Anywho, I'm thinking about buying an HP S20xi
film scanner.  It lacks ICE and has questionable build
quality but it's easy to find new for around $100.  So, for
anyone who has owned this scanner, comments would be
appreciated.  I do have a question though.  For B&W, I was
thinking I could develop the b&w film at home and then scan
the negatives into the computer.  Anyone tried any b&w neg.
scanning?  Ideally, I would just like a way to show others
some of my slides and perhaps make a quick 5x7 print on the
inkjet and leave quality enlargements to the fuji frontier.
Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

-Chris