On Tue, 6 Mar 2001 14:47:40 -0500, you wrote:

>Saw: A Kiron lens for Pentax. 24mm, f2. ($69.00?)
>Whatsit?  Any good atall? Never heard of this brand before....
>Skip

I'll take it, if you don't want it.

Kiron lenses were made by Kino Precision Optics. They were a third
party manufacturer. Some (but not all) of the Vivitar Series I lenses
were made by Kiron.

I suppose Kiron made lenses about as good as anyone in their day. I
have a couple of Kiron zooms now, and recently got another and a 1.5x
TC.

All my Kiron lenses have very good build quality. In my limited
experience, Kiron's build quality was equivalent to comparable Pentax
lenses, and certainly equal or better than similar third party lenses
by Sigma, Tokina, and Tamron.

I would not hesitate to get a Kiron 24/2 for $69, assuming it does not
have any major defects. That price is dirt cheap for any 24mm lens -
and really a bargain for two reasons: first, the Kiron 24/2 lens is
probably good enough to keep for awhile, and, second, f2 is plenty
fast for a 24mm lens.

--
Happy Trails,
Texdance