On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:20:12 -0400
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> IIRC the _checked_baggage_ X-ray machines can vary the intensity.
> (Not that this contradicts anything folks have said about the
> carry-on X-rays, even if I'm right.)  I didn't think the carry-on
> scanners could be turned up.
>
>                                       -- Glenn

Not contradicting anything either, but just a word of warning.

I went through London Gatwick with Provia 400 exposed at 800 in the
carry-on a few weeks back. 4 rolls went through the carry-on x-ray,
and were ruined, the one roll I kept in my pant-pocket (which then
didn't get x-ray) was fine. The film came out of the same pack and
had been stored and exposed identically.

So whatever they say, don't assume that the x-ray will not damage
your film on carry-on.

It's not a first-time experience either, so I had asked (and was
refused) a hand-check by the quite rude security staff....

--thomas