I've been using 58mm filters for almost all my lenses using
caps on the filters and three sizes of step rings.  Bought
a Hoya adjustable 58mm hood as part of the kit.  Works fine.
About the only ones I take with me are light warming, "moose"
polarizer, and regular polarizer.  Not that difficult to deal
with the rings, as the shots I want these for usually are not
grab shots.  I recommend this approach.

-Lon

Paul Eriksson wrote:
Until now I've only been using polarizers as screw-in filters, warmups and nd have been Hitech in cokin holders. My problem is that my filters are taking up too much space in my bag. Is anyone using stack caps for their filters. My thougth was to get stack caps for only the smallest and largest filter sizes and to use stepping rings between filter sizes so that I only get one big stack of filters, any cons to this approach?

thanks all
Paul