Hi Heiko,

But OTOH you can use your old lenses better than every Nikon D100 or Canon D60/10D user can do.

Well, I wouldn't consider buying into Nikon or Canon. However, getting a 4000 dpi slide scanner for me is an alternative to buying a DSLR.....

I have only a SMC-M 50/1.7 and a (often underestimated but in my eyes wonderful) SMC-M 100/2.8 left. Both fit very firmly into my MZ-5n when they are unlocked and turned a little bit. But I don't know if this applicable to all lenses/bodies.

Well, 3 out of 4 lenses that I tried on my MZ5N sat firmly, one did not. Also, the position in which the aperture levers are disengaged but the lens still sits frmly is only ~5 degrees wide....

If you want the trick to work well, you would need another hole in the
mount of the lens so that it would have a 2nd locking position. Shall I
drill holes in all my K- and M-series lenses?

I don't know, but if those lenses would be very important for me, and there would be no adequate A/F/FA-replacement, and if this modification would be necessary to use them safely - yes - then I would do that. I think this is far better than doing without those lenses or even changing to another system.

Well, I might do so, too, if there was no alternative, however I prefer to first ask Pentax whether they really want me to damage my K- and M series lenses so that I can use them on the *ist D....

I think a software update of the *ist D (to enable metering when DOF
preview is activated) would be a much better solution!

Yes, that would be better for an experienced user as you and me. But I'm quite sure that Pentax won't make this modification as the meter would show false data when you have chosen another aperture as wide open and DOFP is not pressed. To prevent this, you have to deactivate the meter when DOFP is not pressed in manual mode. Sounds like a bigger modification...

I do not think that this is a big modification. Actually, the DOF preview position of the main switch already activates the illumination of the extrenal LCD display of the camera - it could switch on and off the meter just as easily.

Arnold