In VA, if you have sex with a person who is sufficiently incapacitated
that is considered rape.  We warn male students about this all the time.
 If you are at a party and a women is really drunk, then don't have sex
with her even if she appears to be willing.   If a court/jury decides
that you took advantage of a sufficiently impaired state, then legally
it's rape.  I'm not making a moral point here, just a practical one.
The difficulty is always that the guy is also usually drunk, but if a
male can "perform" then it's difficult legally to demonstrate
impairment.

I know I may sound a little cold-hearted about this, but I'm usually
trying to protect young people from making stupid mistakes and sometimes
you have to scare the hell out of them.  I don't really know enough
about the Shell case to make any specific comment.

Steven Desjardins
Department of Chemistry
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450