Ken wrote:

I believe Pål is right on this account.  I remember reading a Japanese
magazine article where Pentax designers were discussing the process of
designing the MZ-S, wherein they said that one of the most difficult tasks
was to keep the power consumption within a limit (it's still a battery eater
:-).  Shutter unit was capable for 1/8000 but there was a huge (probably
exponential) difference in the shutter charge between 1/6000 and 1/8000 and
Pentax decided to tune down the shutter to 1/6000, thus effectively
increasing the durability.  I do not believe that Pentax aimed at increasing
the shutter durability but it was rather the side benefit of minimizing the
power consumption.

REPLY:
True. Pentax wanted to make a very compact, well made camera (pretty much what the
PDML wanted them to do) and therefore had limitations in the use of power source. The
MZ-S batteries lasts for about 30 rolls. A doubling of power consumption would have
been unacceptable. Larger batteries would have meant a larger camera; something close
to the Z-1p.
Interestingly, the Z-1p and the Nikon F(N)90 use the very same shutter unit. For all
we know the F100 and MZ-S may share shutters as well. I'm not saying it is like this,
just that it could very well be.
The MZ-S was developed from the MD-S, an $8000 full frame digital camera targeted at
Pentax professional users. The main intended market was Pentax MF users who may use
the MD-S with MF lenses as an alternative to a digital back for MF. Since then Pentax
strategy in DSLR has changed: now they target the entry level DSLR segment with the
*ist D and will make medium format digital solutions for the professional segment.

Pål