In a message dated 6/22/2003 1:35:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> There's nothing wrong with zooms (don't let the prime snobs get you
> down!) but if you're not going to spend the bucks on the pro f/2.8
> versions you need to dig around and find the good cheap ones.

Yes. Canon has some high priced IS zooms. But I realize better and faster zooms would
help -- whatever brand.

> As to your deteriorating eyesight...that's another issue. You've said
> you think an improved finder might help, but most folks who I know
> don't look for a better finder, they look for better AF.

Well, I really want both -- better view finder and better AF. But it seems when doing
macro shots my biggest problem is actually the view finder, more and more.

> The MZ-S AF
> is a world better than the 5n. If you want better than that you'd have
> to switch brands and spend some bucks. Killer AF isn't cheap, and
> you're not going to get it by switching to the 10D. I wouldn't be
> surprised if the *ist-D has better AF and a better finder.
>
> Of course, you can go into a store right now and test a 10D for
> yourself. If you want to see what good AF is, try out a 1V
> or 1D.
>
> tv

All very good advice. Of course, I am looking for a magic solution. Who wouldn't? A
not too expensive camera that has a bigger view finder and better (quicker and/or more
points of focus or something) AF. And that magic solution is probably simply not out
there. Going to have to spend more to get more.

I've decided to rent a few out and try them. Certainly hold them and view them in the
store, if I can't rent them. Didn't ask if they rented the MZ-S. But they only rent
the Canon Elan II. Not sure that will tell me much. I'll keep looking around for
rentals, see if I can compare the MZ-S with the 7e (interested if that eye focus thing
actually works, that's what the 7e has to offer). And a few others. Not interested in
Nikon, at all. If one switches, the logical choice is Canon because they are an
integrated company with good digital.

Interestingly the local camera store is renting all the varieties of DSLRs, but I
guess that's not too surprising considering how expensive they all still are. Or maybe
they just rent digital more these days -- most likely.

Sorry if my angst makes some Pentaxians unhappy. It really isn't personal about anyone
else's choices or judgment. It's only personal to me based on my recent experience --
teacher kept telling me my shots were out of focus -- the closer ones, not necessarily
macro, but not the landscape infinity ones either. Various reasons for this, some of
which I have already detailed (Pentax zoom with serious fall off at max end, auto
focus continously not focusing on the right thing, etc.) It was usually not my fault.
And that was frustrating. When I screw up, that is one thing. One the camera/lens
combination doesn't perform the way I expected, or somewhat close to what I expected,
that is another.

With something else, I'd be a happier camper. Either Pentax or other.

Marnie aka Doe :-)