Now here is a related question, what percentage of ancient records remain
available today?

Another, what is the difference between a written record in a language no
one knows, and a computer record in an unknown format?

And another, where is all that information that was lost in the year 2000
change over (remember that non-problem)?

And yet another, what is the difference between a destroyed piece of paper
and a destroyed CD.

In fact, commercial, and governmental hard drives are regularly backed up.
When new larger ones replace older smaller ones most often they just copy
the data onto the new one. When old file cabinets are replaced, quite often
the old files are just dumped into boxes and put into damp basements to be
forgotten. Which files are more likely to be preserved?

Scare mongers will ever be amongst us. Critical data well be preserved.
Critical data that was not perceived as critical will be lost. I consider
this whole can of worms to be just another Chicken Little Syndrome.

Ciao,
Graywolf
http://pages.prodigy.net/graywolfphoto