Metal vs. Plastic is a tough trade off.  A lighter body will hit the
ground or swing with less momentum, reducing the force available to do
damage.  Metal will dent, whereas plastic will give but then crack.
Polycarbonate is tough stuff, even if it doesn't fell as solid.  I'd
actually like to see some "tests to destruction" for camera bodies.
Anyone know of some? (Official ones, not the kind that Tom does ;-)

Digital cameras are evolving quickly so there is a reason to buy a new
one every few years.  Film cameras are more stable, and I really do
think e are going to see very few really new nigh end film SLR's.
There's just not money in them anymore, and the "pro show" cameras are
now digital, so its' the 1Ds and not the F5 that has the most "drool"
value.  Like it or not, I think the *ist and it's ilk are the new "sweet
spot" of film SLR's.  If Pentax does come out with another film SLR, I
think the best we can get is a Mg alloy  *ist with (maybe) and aperture
simulator.

Steven Desjardins
Department of Chemistry
Washington and Lee University