Anand, I don't think you'll be pleased with "plain paper" pictures.
I own the HP5550, which is supposed to do very well on plain paper
in comparison to the competition.  Photos on copier paper look terrible.
Before you switch, try printing on plain paper.  Bet you find they
are all pretty bad with it.

Anand DHUPKAR wrote:
hi folks,

once again a little bit of OT - about the printers.

some time back i asked about the cost of the prints if printed at home and it was indeed a nice feedback from all of the folks over here. in the meantime, i have been playing with my printer - i have HP 932c printer. i personally, am in kind of mental block that i should go in for epson. the reason being some of their printers are advertised to give photo quality prints on plain papers, which really puzzles me. i feel quite happy with the print quality, however, when i see that i am always using the photo quality papers which are pretty expensive compared to ordinary ones, then i feel that may be if i move to epson, i would be able to print more - consumable only being inks, spending same amount of money would give me more prints.

as some people mentioned, i am also one of those who without having the picture in hands, don't get feel of it - i mean, having picture to look at on monitor doesn't give me enough satisfaction and so in any case i do need to print it ...

what i have observed in overall discussions is people go for either canon or epson. as i said, i do feel my pictures on hp932c are ok, however, for above mentioned reasons, i feel like going for epson. i know, i know, this is strictly personal, however, i majority of people talking/using canon/epson, hence, am kind of opening this topic once again - should i move from hp to epson ?

thanks in advance ....

anand