Alan, thank you for your quick reply and comment. If
I go for that route, I would gladly pay extra for
the FA*28-70/2.8. I used to have that lens but I
sold it because it was too big (though not too heavy
for such a big lens) and consume too much space in
my camera bag. But as Caveman has pointed out, I
might need to stop down a bit, so maybe I had to
live with a big lens to start with a faster aperture.

Price issue aside, the Tamron is claimed to be the most compact 2.8 zoom on the market, if it mean anything to you. A few owners of this lens also said the same thing. You can check it out here http://www.tamron.com/di.htm.

I am spoiled by such lenses as the FA*24/2.0,
F*300/4.5, and the Zeiss lenses of my Contax G2, but
I need to go back to Pentax because I need a digital
upgrade path. I am pretty confident a Pentax 50/1.4
would be as sharp as my Zeiss lenses and therefore
more than satisfy my needs. Even on 4x6 I saw a
difference, although everybody says all lenses look
good on 4x6. Granted, I use a loupe to inspect the
prints sometimes, and I hope it is not placebo
effect that I am seeing. I've read from a number of
sources that even the oldest screw mount Takumar
primes would be better than today's newest and best
zooms, though.

I have never used any SM equipment so I really don't know. But I am with you when you said you can see the difference on 4x6 prints. However, beware that the Pentax 50/1.4 isn't that sharp wide open. In fact, the A50/1.4 that I had was so soft I used it f4 up. I had similar problem with FA*85/1.4 too.

regards,
Alan Chan