From: Mike Johnston [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 9:33 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: What's a professional?

John Mullan wrote:

> It is not the camera that makes a photographer a professional.  It is
> their vision, their artistry...[snip]...Would Picasso be less of an artist
if
> he used a different paintbrush?

Huh? Professionals aren't artists. Professionals are the furthest thing from
artists. Artists make pictures to satisfy an inner need, and professionals
make pictures to satisfy the needs of whoever hired them or whoever is going
to buy the picture. There's a very big difference here that we seem to be
ignoring.

Is anybody of the opinion that "professionals" are somehow at the top of the
pyramid? If so, I would beg to differ. Great photographers are seldom
professionals (even if they hire themselves out). Professionals seldom do
the best photographic work. And professional work isn't much to aspire to,
IMHO. I mean, we've all done it, we've all had to do it (I was a full-time
pro for years), but what professional would do exactly the same kind of work
if he or she didn't have to?!?

--Mike