What I meant was the top & bottm plates were made to thin and prone to impact damage. The FA-1 top has similar problem. Canon F-1 or Nikon F/F2/F3/FM/FM2 do not suffer the same.

regards,
Alan Chan

Well, I know the MX preceded the LX (were they ever marketed concurrently?
I don't think so, and I'm too lazy to look), but the MX would have made a
great all-mechanical back up to the LX for a PJ or someone in the field.

Much as it was claimed that many who used whatever big Nikon F was current,
would stick an FM or FM2 body in their bag as a back up.