frank theriault <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Well, I'm not saying that one is better than another, but it seems
>that there may some situations that manual focus is faster and more
>accurate (or at least there's a better chance that it will be more
>accurate) than AF.  It ~may~ be that in the majority of situations,
>AF works best (and fastest).
>
>Maybe your analogy would be better if it related to technology,
>such as bicycles and cars.  Sometimes the bicycle, despite being
>the older, simpler technology, works better for the purpose at hand,
>is more reliable, and is faster (like in a traffic jam).  But, there's
>no doubt that in the majority of situations, the car works best.

That's the way it is with all technology; half the trick is knowing when
to use it and when not to. At the workshop I went to a couple of months
ago, Frans Lanting was raving about his VR (Nikon's version of Image
Stabilization) lens. On the other hand, he said he uses manual focus
more than autofocus.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing