God. You're jumping on me even before I'm doing anything ? Do you fear the results ? Why ? For the moment I'm just noticing that a monitor has some advantages to a paper print, i.e. being backlit it has higher contrast and more vivid colors. It's also bigger than the *typical* 4x5 inch minilab print. What are you afraid of and trying to avoid ?

cheers,
caveman

Matt Bevers wrote:

I'm trying to say that "typical use" is to print the keepers whether they were shot on digital or film. This is what I was trying to explain in part B of my previous message, which you chose not to reply to or even quote in making your snide response. I'll copy it again here in case anyone missed it.

Does my interpretation of "typical use" make sense to anyone else, or am I crazy?

I wrote:

B) I don't mean "good" as in the best quality possible, I mean "good" in terms of the best of a number of photos taken with the same camera. Say you take 10 pictures of Aunt Bea at her birthday party, 2 have someone leaning in the frame, she has her eyes closed in 4, her mouth open and full of food in 3 others. The last picture, where she has a nice smile just before she blows out the candles on her cake, goes to the lab or the inkjet so you can keep a print. I think this is how digital cameras are being used in many cases, so I think comparing prints is a valid test.