As a general rule of thumb, you should scan so that the _output_ file will be the size of the print and 300 dpi.

That's not scanning at 300dpi.

Let's say you are going to make an 8 x 10 inch digital print out of the 6x7cm negative. You'd want a file that is 8 x 10 inches at 300 dpi, or 2400 pixels by 3000 pixels. If you scan your original at 1091 dpi you'd get a 2575 x 3000 pixel image, or an 8.5 x 10 inch image at 300 dpi.

As a practical matter, scans are usually made at a higher resolution than needed, and then scaled down. So if you need an 8 x10 or smaller, scan at 1200 or even 2400 and you know you have it covered.

- MCC