Thanks for all the DoF replies, I think I've got it now.

Doug Franklin wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:52:07 +0100 (BST), Chris Stoddart wrote:

When I started photography I too was less than impressed with the DOF
stopdown. 'Just makes he bloody viewfinder dark' and 'Can't see anything
in that' were my first impressions. It turns out the trick is to allow
your eye time to adjust.

And look at the stuff that's not in focus rather than the stuff that is. I tend to look at the parts that are out of focus in the normal viewfinder, but that I want in focus in the final image, then press and release the DOFP button a couple of times.

TTYL, DougF KG4LMZ