Hi,

Wednesday, July 16, 2003, 11:14:41 AM, you wrote:

> Bob Walkden wrote:
>>
>> We're not the only ones. The French do it too. The Pont
> Neuf (New
>> Bridge) was built in the 1500s - and is the oldest bridge
> over the
>> Seine.

> The literal translation of "Pont Neuf" is "Bridge 9".  Where
> did "New" come from?

Convergent evolution. Different Latin words - novis and novem - have
evolved into the same French word neuf, which has stayed in the
language and evolved further into nouveau/nouvelle. Neuf, like ancien
(which is a false friend), is quite a subtle word. We don't really
have a direct equivalent and normally use 'new' for both 'nouveau' and
'neuf'.

> "Neu" is German for "New".  The French words for "New" are
> nouveau and nouvelle (m/f).  This would mean that the
> literal translation into French of "New Bridge" would be
> "Pont Nouveau".

> Perhaps we should discuss this further over a slightly
> chilled glass of "Beaujolais Neuf".  <g>

Pas de probleme on that one!

--
Cheers,
 Bob                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]