whickersworld wrote:
We should wait and see what a competent and reputable
magazine (such as "Amateur Photographer") says about the
*ist.  Maybe then we can begin to draw conclusions.

There's an *ist review in the current issue of Chasseur d'Images too. I didn't bother to read it, but if someone is interested he may get that magazine, especially since it also contains a "reminder" table with the stars for optical performance that a load of lenses got during their tests, both with film and digital (and now it is obvious that it was about C and N, since M and P don't have DSLRs to take their lenses).

cheers,
caveman