> Does anyone out there have a rough guide of a fair price for this lens?
> Mine is near-mint condition with its original front cap, a real "A"-
> series rear cap, and its original case.

> US$450-500 when you can find one.

> A shop in Arizona is advertising one for $595 in "10-" condition.

> This would be around ~400 US $ - I've also watched several others
> in this price range... until I found my F300/4.5 :-)

I have seen "users" (a bit beat up but in supposedly good mechanical
and optical shape) goes for about $300, as I recall, but better
ones, such as yours, Dave, should get at least $400, I would say.  A
lot depends on the market, of course, which is currently a bit
depressed).

As for the M*/A* 300/4 versus F*/300/4.5, I have both (and multiple
copies, since 300mm is a very frequently used FL for me), and I'd
say that the lenses are not totally redundant:

The F* is a slightly sharper lens (but not at f/4- <g>), although it
is slightly slower (and sometimes that partial f-stop can be
significant).  Both are well made, but the M*/A* is a bit nicer to
use for manual focusing.  And, for the size, at least in my case, I
can pack the significantly shorter (when focused at infinity) M*/A*
in my camera bag, but the F* requires (for me anyway) carrying it
separately.

On the other hand, as I said, the F* is a bit sharper (and the FA*
would be, too, I guess).  The hood arrangement on the F* (but not
the FA*) is very well handled, and the tripod mount can be useful
(even if it's not as nice as the mount on the A* 200/4 Macro).  Oh,
and the F* is an autofocus lens (important to some, such as my wife
and my daughter-in-law, with their ZX-5n's).

Perhaps because I use 300mm so much, I don't see it as "excessive"
to own both designs (even though I've been forced, for financial
reasons, to sell off some of my other "extra" lenses) - they're both
good lenses with separate useful characteristics that certainly do
not totally overlap.

Oh, and I'm still not totally used to beige lenses...  <g>

Fred