From: Joe Wilensky [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 11:36:02 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Tough times in Rochester

I guess it's really not surprising. We just had a presentation this
morning from Cornell University's photo department on their new
procedures and archive system, which should go into effect by
September as they switch completely to digital. They have purchased
five of the new Kodak DCS 14n cameras and have four or five new Mac
G5's on the way. This will replace virtually all of their 35mm,
medium format and 4x5 shooting. They are going to try to use up as
much of their film stock as possible, before they have to unload it
aftermarket at 25 to 50 cents on the dollar when they have made the
switch.

Editors and designers here, long suspicious of digital as being
reproduction quality (probably because people constantly send them
stuff at 72 dpi) were placated by the three photos the photo director
had out on the table -- 11 x 14 digital prints of a detailed still
life, taken with 35mm, medium format, and the new digital camera ...
people were asked to guess which was which. The digital was far more
detailed and nuanced than the 35mm, and the medium format shot was
perhaps a tad sharper than the digital, but it was about as fine a
distinction as could be made by eye at this size. The photo director
said film's only edge (for them, at this point) is its better
handling of specular highlights (bright spots with virtually no data,
or all white, and how they transition to some data as the color and
detail comes back).

I don't know how much film the photo department uses, but they won't
be buying much of it any more.

Joe

http://mail2web.com/ .