From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?P=E5l_Jensen?=
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> ...  the point about the meter being "fooled" is
due to the fact that for aurora photgraphy in
particular, the light
> level may change manifold during exposure and the
subject may turned from
> an essentially front lit one into a backlit one in a
matter of seconds.

Built in light meters are calibrated to meter
reflective light. So when light sources are in the
image frame you normally get useless readouts. In my
understanding auroras are actually light sources.

In my experience the LX light meter works remarkably
well when light sources are in the image frame. I
don't exactly know why this is. But I have recently
made some night cityscape slides with exposure times
up to 18 minutes. They came out astonishingly fine
(but you will need CC filters to compensate the color
shift at such long exposure times).

Alexander