>    * From: Evan Hanson
>    * Subject: Help! My kids stole my Pentax (teaching kids photography)
>    * Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2001 06:18:14 -0800

> While my wife is out of town, taking my zx-5n with her I decided that the kids
> and I should go to the local botanical gardens for some picture taking
> opportunities.  I armed myself with the spotmatic (the mirror came unstuck),
> my oldest girl (10) got the k1000 and my youngest (8) was given the holga.
> Well as we wandered around the gardens taking photos of the spring blooms my
> youngest came up to me and asked if she could take a picture with my camera.
> I hesitantly agreed and set the aperture and shutter speed and then showed her
> how to use the focus ring.  As soon as she took the picture she said "Dad I
> like your camera a lot better than the plastic one. Lets switch."  I of course
> didn't agree filled with visions of my camera tumbling to the ground, however
> does anyone know the absolutely cheapest screw mount or k mount 35 mm slr ever
> produced.  New or used I'm basically looking for something that I would feel
> comfortable letting the kids use all of the time.  I figure I could attach
> some dirt cheap lenses like the famous Sears 50 mm f2 and let the kids learn
> to love photography the same way I did by experimentation.

Hmm, I never understand people letting children of that age (including
the 10 year old) have SLR equipment in first place. The concept of
delicate and easy to break things are `adult only' seems to be
non-existing any more. But then I don't know your children. I realise
children are better in handling fragile items than others. Anyway, it is
too late in your case.

If you want a nice looking camera, I would think they are better of
with something like a Olympus mju (stylus in the US I believe) than a
proper SLR. Just a thought.