On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:03:18 +0200, Jostein wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2003 at 19:01, Doug Franklin wrote:
>
> > [...] I would like to put the World PDML Party on one end of a
> > trip to the battlefields of Operation MARKET-GARDEN (the movie
> > "A Bridge Too Far").

> Do you have any idea on how to pull this one off?
> It'll be a bit tricky for us to arrange this from abroad...

Well, the tour I'd like to take (The War Research Society,
http://www.battlefieldtours.co.uk) is around 18-22 Sep each year, since
that's when the battles originally occurred in 1944.

But I don't have to go with the tour group, either.  So I thought I'd
just see what shook out in a discussion here on PDML and arrange my
dates accordingly.

It's easy for me to fly into Paris and take the TGV or express train
(schnellbahn) from Gare du Nord to Brussels or Rouen.  From there I can
either go ahead and rent a car, or take another express train to
Eindhoven and get a car there.  Or I could fly into Amsterdam and rent
a car immediately and head south.  Obviously, I can fit in anyplace
"nearby" in express train terms on either end of the trip.

But if everyone's schedules work out, it sure would be nice to be able
to work it into one end or the other of the guided tour.  The bunch at
The War Research Society are first rate, and the people, staff and
tourists, really made the trip.

Actually, I'd love to discuss (outside PDML) the planning of this trip
with any PDML members who are Dutch and/or know Holland reasonably well
and/or are interested in the WW2 battles.  The trip I took to Normandy
in June for the anniversary of OVERLORD included a fellow tourist who
was with 1 Para throughout the war and made every Western Hemisphere
drop of the war (west Africa, Sicily, Normandy, Arnhem, others?).  I'm
hoping I can talk him into coming along.

TTYL, DougF KG4LMZ