On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Tom Rittenhouse wrote:

> Well, no.  Mint comes from coin collecting.  It means just like
> it came from the mint with no signs of wear what so ever, even
> the little rough edges from the stamping press are not worn.

If you're talking about coin collecting, then even that has a grade above
mint called "proof."  Proof is fresh from the mint, absolutely
perfect.  This could easily be the effect that the seller was trying to
convey by saying Mint+.  Personally, anything Mint or over I assume to be
in perfect shape.  Even if we all agree what the terms mean (not going to
happen), then we'll still have different opinions as to judging a lens
Exc+ or Mint-.

> So why the sarcasm?  If we all do not use the terms the same way
> they become meaningless.  How can you tell what you are buying
> if mint means a few scratches to one seller, and to another that
> it still works, rather than what you would expect it to.
> Believe me a serious collector that paid mint prices for a
> scratched camera would be very angry, and so would I.
> --Tom

I think the sarcasm was rude.  What you say in this paragraph is logical
and makes sense.  I would much rather have seen this paragraph instead of
the sarcasm as your first reaction to the post.  One is rude; the other,
constructive.

chris