At 08:19 13.8.2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Antti-Pekka Virjonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>At 07:46 13.8.2003 -0400, you wrote:
>>>Yep, the worn installs itself directly through Port 135 - you don't have
>>>to have any software at all running. If you have a real firewall (a
>>>hardware firewall, *not* one of those software "firewalls") you're
>>>generally safe. Most routers that do NAT seem to do the trick.
>>
>>Good software firewalls (not some ancient versions) work ok as well.
>
>Today's software firewall will be defeated by tomorrow's worm/virus (and
>"today" and "tomorrow" can often be taken literally in this context). A
>NAT box can be had for $50 US these days.
>
>BTW: It seems that many systems behind firewalls were hit when someone
>got their laptop infected at home and then brought it in to work and
>connected it to the network there. My S.O.'s university was probably
>infected this way, I expect.

Yes, this is the problem with hardware firewalls. This is why I always
run software firewalls on each machine as well as a hardware firewall
at the internet connection point.

Antti-Pekka

---
* Antti-Pekka Virjonen * Fiskarsinkatu 7 D       * GSM: +358 500 789 753 *
* Computec Oy Turku    * FIN-20750 Turku Finland * Fax: +358 10 264 0777 *