Well what I have found it that using my Epson 1280
printer at 1440 dpi I dont get enuff magnification
with an 8.5 X11 print to really let the 4X5 negs
strut their stuff compared to say 6X7. But when
I do 11X17 prints the details from the 4X5 scans
come alive and simply blow away the 67 scans which
are about 90mb in color if i recall correctly.

When I scan the 4X5 negs, I'm only scanning at
2400ppi and I still get about 100 Mpixels B&W, with
great detail and almost zero grain due to relatively
low scan resolution. But due to the huge negative,
the overall resolution is still mindblowing.

Yes the digital P&S and SLRs are great improvements
over 35mm and even medium format in terms of noise/grain
which is one of the reasons the prints look so nice but
they do not equal the resolution of medium format
or large format film yet. And like I said above,
the film resolution quality doesnt become apparent at
8X10, you need to go higher, but when you do the
difference is amazing.

JCO

----
     J.C. O'Connell   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://jcoconnell.com