You're right, of course, but for the "average" photographer, as most of
us are, being able to take 50+ flash-assisted photographs in one furious
session, and after that being able to take twice that many if you want
to...all on a single set of batteries, well, that's quite impressive!
How many of us NEED to take 200 to 400 photographs in a single session,
especially a lot of them with flash?
It shows not just how battery technology has come along, but how camera
manufacturers have fine-tuned their products to be more and more
efficient consumers of precious battery power!
The more I read about the little Optio S, the more I'm tempted to buy
one just to carry around with me, everywhere I go!

keith whaley