Alexander,

Thanks to you and the others for your opinions.  I guess it
is mostly positive.

I am looking forward to its arrival.

Dave

ALEX Said:

The optical design of the F 50mm macro is isdentical
to that of the FA50mm macro. I have the FA version and
I rate it as a excellent. Macro shots are outstanding
and show extremly fine details. IMO it is noticably
better than the A version which BTW focuses down only
to a magnitude of 1:2 (while the F/FA focuses down to
1:1).

Manual focusing is quite good (the FA version has a
"clamp" to increase the friction when the lens is used
manually or mounted vertically on a copy stand). The
focusing ring turns about 340° (from 1:1 to infinity)
which is ok. The FA version has a broader focusing
ring than the F version.

Enjoy,
Alexander