Speaking as a photojournalist and editor whose work is entered in contests
every year, the pressure to produce prizewinning photos is immense. The
photographers are usually awarded substantial bonuses for winning photos,
plus the paper in question (or its parent company) gets bragging rights.
Most will overlook a lot for a good contest entry. It seems his parent paper
is being a bit disingenuous in suspending him when I'm sure they knew very
well what was done to those photos, and may have actually directed him to do
it. As you can see, there is also obvious incentive for competing
photographer to either rat out another or at least try to cast some doubt
over the photo. Sadly, if they go back and look at the runners-up in his
category, they'll probably find the same thing.

I don't think what he did was terribly wrong, but I don't think it was
terribly right, either. I hate to say this, but when you see a news photo
that appears too perfect, the timing too fortuitous - just too good to be
true, it probably is. It's especially apparent when you've covered the same
event at the same time, and you know for sure what you see in the other
guy's photo didn't happen that way. I knew one photographer who staged every
photo he took.

It's not just the photographer's fault. The name of the game is circulation,
which leads to ad dollars. Once you win, they expect you to keep on winning.
It's especially bad at the dailies, where the stakes are the highest. And a
lot of those editors, if they smell a winner, will be more than happy to
make that "little" alteration for you, if you haven't done it yourself.