Rob,

A longer barrel--such as that used on the SMC 28/2, which was designed with
Zeiss--can bend the rays more "gently." Isn't extra barrel distortion one
of the compromises usually introduced by a shorter lens (unless, perhaps,
an aspherical element is used)? Isn't that why "no compromise" lenses are
typically longer, and use more elements? Or do I need to brush up on my
limited understanding of Cartesian optics?

PS: Of course, every lens design is a compromise. By no-compromise, I mean
to suggest "the best a lens maker has to offer."

"Rob Studdert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Subject: Re: 28/2-class lens specs: Seven Third-Party Lenses vs. Three
Pentax 28/2s (was: Re: fast kiron on ebay)

On 10 Mar 2001, at 19:20, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> To my eye, 28mm is the widest
> practical focal length for "people-shooting," which is what I do. True,
it
> makes people at the edges of the frame look fat. But this problem is
> minimized by selecting a well-corrected prime.

Hi Paul,

Please explain, to my mind there should be a similar degree of perspective
distortion present (ie elongation of close objects at the edge of the
frame) in
any well corrected optic. The only way that I can imagine that there would
be
differences is if the lens that looks more normal has a semi-spherical
plane
of focus?

Cheers,

Rob Studdert