Remember the Spotmatic II? It appeared AFTER the Spotmatic F.

Are you sure about that? I can't get to Peter Jonkman's Spotmatic page to check, but that clashes with my recollection. My first SLR (which I purchased with my very first paycheck from my first full-time job) was a Spotmatic II (with the 50mm 1.4). I thought that the Spotmatic F came along a few months later (although I resisted the temptation to move to newer models until the MX came along).

My error! I had read a bad date somewhere but did not double check.

Andre