Amita Guha wrote:

> I would love to buy a Bessa T or R, because I tried them
out a while
> back and liked them a lot, but I've been looking around
for lenses and
> it looks like the lenses are several hundred $ each no
matter where I
> look. Am I missing something or will I really have to pay
tons of money
> for each lens if I start building a rangefinder system?
Sorry for the OT
> post but I'd rather not deal with Leica-only snobs online.
;)

Hi Amita,

The Voigtländer lenses are not nearly as expensive as Leica
but they do cost money.  Here in the UK, most of the lenses
sell for the dollar equivalent of $250 to $400, the
exceptions being the 12mm and the 35mm f/1.2 which cost
rather more.

I am aware of two sources for Voigtländer in the USA;
Cameraquest and Photo Village.  Their prices seem reasonable
but I have no experience of either as a source for equipment
as I buy and sell in the UK.

The fact that Voigtländer cameras and lenses use the L39
Leica screw mount or the Leica M bayonet means that you can
buy other brand lenses to fit your Voigtländer camera.  The
former Soviet lenses for the Zorki series of L39-mount
cameras are surprisingly good and are often offered on eBay
for very reasonable prices.  You may also find older Canon
rangefinder lenses offered but they tend to cost more.

If you buy the Bessa T or R2 you will need a bayonet to
screw mount adapter to mount L39 lenses to the camera; all
other Voigtländer rangefinder bodies use the L39 mount.

Try the former Soviet lenses; you might be surprised just
how good they are, and how well made.

Best regards,

John