on 05.09.03 15:29, Amita Guha at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Yesterday I picked up a standard Promaster 72mm UV filter to protect my
> new wide-angle lens. Then I went on the B&H site and I noticed that
> Tiffen makes filters specifically for wide-angle lenses. These lenses
> are very thin and don't have a front thread.
>
> Is it critical to use a very thin filter on my 17mm lens? I want the
> front thread because I need to use a hood.
Then get Marumi filter - they made new WPC filters with waterproof coatings,
that are slim, yet have front thread. I have bought 67mm polarizing WPC
filter and found it to be perfect match for my FA 24-90. Just check out if
UV and Skylight 1B Marumi WPC filters have threads for sure - mine PL has.
Slim filters are neccessary  for wide angle lenses - especially if you want
to use two filters together (it happens), to avoid vignetting at open
apertures.

--
Best Regards
Sylwek