I am tempted to buy a used Canon 28-135 IS and borrow a Canon but before I do so I wish to hear your opinions whether this is a stupid idea.

I have been doing bounce flash indoors a lot using a shoe-mounted flash. I started out with f/5.6 at 1/30 on ISO 800 film rated at 400 or 500, and got nicely illuminated pictures. Ambient light is only 1 or 2 stops below flash light. However, there was once I get blurred images. I wasn't sure whether it was my handshake or people moving, but it is not possible to handhold a 45mm lens at 1/30 and expect sharp results. So I switched to 1/60 last time. There was also not enough depth of field sometimes so I used f/8. My flash can still output that much power. My images came back not very satisfactorily. While the near objects are still nicely illuminated, the far objects are completely dark. I used to get at least some detail off the far objects.

As you can see, I am torn between a handholdable shutter speed, depth of field, and ambient lighting. Would an IS lens take the first one out, so that I can use an even slower shutter speed such as 1/15 and capture ambient light while keeping the aperture small for depth of field ? Obviously this can only help my hand shake but not people moving.

Or, should I "just do it" and use 1/15 since the far objects are out of focus and the near objects are mostly illuminated by flash at a speed of around 1/500 ? This might result in a sharp image with a blurry trail, though, if the flash light does not greatly outshine the ambient light, which seems to defeat the original purpose of capturing ambient light using a slow shutter speed.

Any comments ? I don't want to go Canon because of IS... I didn't realize there is any use for IS/VR until now.